Duration: 5 days (40 hours)
Is your organization moving towards project-based approaches and initiatives? Learn how to successfully manage projects through this essential hands-on course.
As a manager, you recognize the need for effective project management best practices. Essentials of Project Management is an applied course that provides you with the necessary knowledge and skills to efficiently manage projects and meet expectations. Through this useful course, you will learn the concepts of project management – and how to practically apply these concepts to your own projects.
Along with reducing overall costs and improving the quality of your projects, this course focuses on the technical and behavioral skills required by all project managers. For example, technical project management skills include scope definition, work breakdown, scheduling, budgeting and risk management; and behavioral skills include leadership, team development, communications, problem solving and negotiation.
At the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Manage stakeholder expectations and interests.
- Define and articulate project requirements and objectives.
- Draft an effective project charter.
- Create a complete, detailed project plan.
- Develop a thorough project scope statement.
- Create a work breakdown structure.
- Estimate and assign project resources.
- Develop a realistic, optimized schedule.
- Develop a comprehensive project budget.
- Plan, monitor and control project risks.
- Control project activities and manage variances.
- Use project management software to plan, track and monitor projects.
- Communicate and measure project performance and status.
- Lead and develop project teams.
- Close and document project results.
Who Should Attend
Project managers, team managers/leaders, and project team members.
Flipped Course Delivery Option
All of our courses are offered with an option for a flipped delivery method. A flipped class is a combination of classroom instruction and online learning. The difference is in the sequence. In a flipped class, you study the subject online first, at your own pace prior to class. Then we follow-up with a face-to-face workshop, where you practice applying your learning. You arrive having already gone through all the material, which allows us to focus the workshop more on practicality, with hands-on exercises and active discussions. With this approach, you own your learning experience. You have control. You get to control when you learn, how quickly you learn, what sequence you follow, and how deeply you go into the content. During the face-to-face workshop, the instructor will be more like a coach, guiding activities, and facilitating group discussions. Because they’re not using the class time to present content, it gives more time to apply the concepts for deeper learning. If your organization chooses this delivery method, the attendees will get access to the online course material approximately 1-2 weeks prior to the workshop.
For an example of our online course material, please see our Sample course.